What’s at stake?
“The team with the best points difference on aggregate over the two matches between USA and Uruguay will progress to Rugby World Cup 2023 as Americas 1 alongside New Zealand, France, Italy and the winner of the Africa Cup 2022.
The loser of the Americas 1 play-off will still have another opportunity to make it to France, as they will face the winner of the home-and-away series between Canada and Chile, in a straight head to head, for the prize of the Americas 2 place in Pool D along with England, Japan, Argentina and Samoa.” (Rugby World Cup)
How did we get here?
Canada beat USA for the first time since 2013 when they beat them 34-21 in ST John’s. USA bounced back with a 38-16 win in their second matchup a week later. Despite dropping the first match, USA beat Canada 59-50 in aggregate score in the Rugby Americas North (RAN) 1 playoff in September.
“Meanwhile, Uruguay overcame Brazil (39-13) and Chile (15-10) in the Sudamérica Rugby 3 Naciones in July.
Chile booked their place in the play-off against RAN 1 losers Canada by finishing as runner-up to Uruguay in the Sudamérica Rugby 3 Naciones in July. They beat Brazil 23-13 and lost 15-10 to Uruguay.” (Rugby World Cup)
When and where are the matches?
The first round of USA vs Uruguay is this Saturday, October 2 at Infinity Park in Glendale, Colorado. The match kicks off at 8:00pm ET.
Also this Saturday, October 2, is Canada vs Chile at the Starlight Stadium in Langford, British Columbia. The match kicks off at 8:00pm ET.
For the second leg, USA travel to Montevido, Uruguay, and Canada travels to Valparaiso, Chile. Both matches take place October 9 with USA vs Uruguay at 4pm ET and Canada vs Chile at 2pm ET.
Where can I watch?
Inside the United State, FloRugby will be showing USA vs Uruguay live with ESPN broadcasting it in South America and the Caribbean.
In Canada, the Canada vs Chile matches will be broadcast live at www.PremierSports.tv.
For fans outside of these regions, Rugby World Cup will be streaming all matches live at www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/watch-live.
USA Rugby Match-Day 23
|1. David Ainu’u||Prop||Toulouse (FRA)||13|
|2. Kapeli Pifeleti||Hooker||Saracens (ENG)||6|
|3. Joe Taufete’e||Prop||Lyon (FRA)||31|
|4. Nate Brakeley||Lock||Rugby United New York||27|
|5. Nick Civetta||Lock||Rugby United New York||30|
|6. Hanco Germishuys||Flanker||Rugby United New York||25|
|7. Andrew Guerra||Flanker||NOLA Gold||3|
|8. Cam Dolan||No. 8||NOLA Gold||55|
|9. Ruben De Haas||Scrumhalf||Saracens (ENG)||21|
|10. Will Magie||Flyhalf||Austin Gilgronis||29|
|11. Mika Kruse||Wing||Utah Warriors||3|
|12. Bryce Campbell (C)||Center||Austin Gilgronis||36|
|13. Tavite Lopeti||Center||Seattle Seawolves||2|
|14. Christian Dyer||Wing||USA Sevens||4|
|15. Marcel Brache||Fullback||Austin Gilgronis||26|
|16. Dylan Fawsitt||Reserve Hooker||Rugby United New York||17|
|17. Matt Harmon||Reserve Prop||NOLA Gold||2|
|18. Paul Mullen||Reserve Prop||Utah Warriors||22|
|19. Greg Peterson||Reserve Lock||Newcastle Falcons (ENG)||32|
|20. Moni Tonga’uiha||Reserve Flanker||NOLA Gold||Debut|
|21. Nate Augspurger||Reserve Scrumhalf/Wing||San Diego Legion||28|
|22. Luke Carty||Reserve Flyhalf/Center||LA Giltinis||3|
|23. Will Hooley||Reserve Fullback||Saracens (ENG)||15|
Rugby Canada Match-Day 23
- Kyle Baillie – Summerside, PEI – Nola Gold
- Ross Braude – Pretoria, SA – Toronto Arrows
- Cooper Coats – Halifax, NS – Canada Rugby 7’s
- Cole Davis – Calgary, AB – Austin Gilgronis
- Foster DeWitt – Courtney, BC – Pacific Pride
- Mason Flesch – Cobourg, ON – Toronto Arrows
- Matt Heaton – Godmanchester, QC – Rugby ATL
- Jason Higgins – Cork, Ire – Toronto Arrows
- Eric Howard – Ottawa, ON – Nola Gold
- Jake Ilnicki – Williams Lake, BC – Unattached
- Spencer Jones – Cambridge, NZ – Toronto Arrows
- Cole Keith – Apohaqui, NB – Toronto Arrows
- Will Kelly – Ancaster, ON – Toronto Arrows
- Conor Keys – Stittsvile, ON – Rugby ATL
- Lachlan Kratz – Victoria, BC – Nola Gold
- Ben Lesage – Calgary, AB – Toronto Arrows
- Kainoa Lloyd – Mississauga, ONT – James Bay AA
- Peter Nelson – Dungannon, UK – Stade Aurillacois Cantal Auvergne
- Quinn Ngawati – Victoria, BC – Rugby United NY
- Patrick Parfrey – St. John’s NFLD – Toronto Arrows/Swilers RFC
- Rob Povey – Long Buckby, ENG – Houston Sabercats
- Andrew Quattrin – Holland Landing – ON – Toronto Arrows
- Tyler Rowland – Mississauga, ON – Toronto Arrows
- Lucas Rumball – Markham, ON – Toronto Arrows
- Djustice Sears-Duru – Oakville, ON – Seattle Seawolves
- Michael Smith – White Rock, BC – San Diego Legion
- Corey Thomas – Perth, Western AUS – LA Giltinis
- Matt Tierney – Oakville, ON – Castres Olympique
- Siaki Vikilani – Burnaby, BC – Toronto Arrows
- Brock Webster – Uxbridge, ON – Canada Rugby 7’s
The post Rugby World Cup Qualifiers: USA vs Uruguay and Canada vs Chile appeared first on Major League Rugby.